Paul A. Gossen, P.E.
Principal & Chief Engineer
DPL. ING., Technische Engenieur Fachhochschule, Berlin, Germany
Paul Gossen was an associate with Geiger Associates, (also known as Geiger Berger) from 1970 to 1973 and from 1979 to 1988. One of the founding principals of Geiger Engineers, he is the Chief Engineer in the firm's New York office. In more than thirty five years of professional practice, he has had a significant role in over 30 built spectator sports facilities, including five domed stadia. Paul has also conducted more than 12 significant structural investigations of building structures in his career. He is a member of the IASS Working Group 16, Retractable Roofs and a member of the ASCE Cable Committee. Paul has authored numerous technical papers on long-span and sports facility structures.
Long-Span Structures, Sports & Recreation Facilities
Principal in Charge of:
- Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome Roof Replacement, Minneapolis, MN
- Cincinnati Reds Ballpark, Cincinnati, OH
- Flushing Meadow Corona Park Pool + Rink, New York, NY
- Athletic Center, SUNY, New Paltz, NY
- Carolina Center Arena, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- Littlejohn Arena Renovation, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
- Olympic Mountainside Temporary Venues, Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Games, UT
- Hannover Arena, Hannover, Germany
- RBC Center, Entertainment & Sports Arena, NC State University, Raleigh, NC
- Alltel Arena, Little Rock, AR
- Crown Center at Cumberland County Coliseum Complex, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Giants Stadium Suites Addition, Meadowlands Sports Complex, E. Rutherford, NJ
- Dutchess County Stadium, Beacon, NY
- Charles V. Schaefer Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center, Stevens Institute , Hoboken, NJ
- Olympic Hall Berlin 2000 Planning , Berlin, Germany
- Real Madrid Arena, Madrid, Spain
- University of North Carolina, Student Activities Center, Charlotte, NC
- Asbury Park Casino and Boardwalk Arcade, Renovation and Reuse
- International Ideas Competition, For Redesigning Arena Bergiselstadion, Innsbruck, Austria
- Pitt Stadium Enclosure Study, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Sheffield Arena, Sheffield, England
- Palasport Milano, Milan, Italy
- Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC
- Entertainment Show Rigging-USAir Arena,Landover, MD
- Queens Theater in the Park Renovation, New York, NY
- Hunter College Playhouse Renovation, Hunter College, New York, NY
- Federal Office Building, GSA Megastructure, Denver, Colorado
Chief Engineer and/or Project Manager for
- 2002 World Cup Stadium Roof Canopy, Seoul, Korea
- Chennai New Life Celebration Centre, Chennai, India
- Resch Center Arena, Green Bay, WI
- Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
- Victoria Centre Arena, Victoria, B.C. Canada
- North Charleston Coliseum, North Charleston, SC
- The Carrier Dome, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- The Hubert Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN
- University of North Carolina, Dean Smith Center, \"Dean Dome\", Chapel Hill, NC
- Taoyuan Sports Arena, Taoyuan County, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Carver-Hawkeye Arena, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Charlotte Knights Stadium, York County, SC
- + Lowell High School Fieldhouse and Natatorium, Lowell, MA
- Korean Olympic Arenas, Gymnastics, Fencing, Seoul, Korea
- Washington University, Sports and Recreation Complex, St. Louis, MO
- USAir Arena, Landover, MD
- Milligan College Athletic Center, Milligan College, TN
- + Robin Hood Dell Open Air Concert Hall,Philadelphia, PA
- Lehman College, Auditoriums & Workshop, Lehman College, NY
- University Santa Clara, Thomas E. Leavy Activity Center, Santa Clara, CA
- + Hampton Road Coliseum, Norfolk, VA
- Giants Stadium Dome Study, Meadowlands Sports Complex, E. Rutherford, NJ
- Pizzitola Memorial Sports Center, Brown University, Providence, RI
- Rochester Riverside Convention Center, Rochester, NY
- Eastern Airlines L-1011, Overhaul and Maintenance Hangar 25, Miami, FL
Project or Design Engineer for:
- Qingdao Stadium Canopy, Qingdao, China
- Peng Hu Community Center, Peng Hu , Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Redbird Arena, Illinois State University, Normal, IL
- Indiana Convention/Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, IN
- B.C. Place Stadium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Dakota Dome, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
- UNI-Dome, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA
- +Feasibility study and preliminary design of sports stadium, Honolulu, HI
- +Princeton Cage, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
Principal in Charge or Project Manager of:
- Aqua Theater Lifts-Le Reve Casino Complex, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Woodstock '94, Saugerties, NY, Structural Review
- Olympic Venue Temporary Video boards, Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Games, UT
- Genesis We Can't Dance Tour 1992, Stage & Special Effects
- 1993 Presidential Inaugural Gala Stage Rigging
- World Youth Day 93, Papal Stage at Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO
- Miss Saigon , Road Production Effects
- Phantom of the Opera , Road Production Effects
- Modular Rigging System, Kish Rigging, Simi Valley, CA
- Octos , eight-occupant human powered sculpture
- Pink Floyd, Flying Effects, For \"Momentary Lapse of Reason\" Tour
- King Kong attachment to the Empire State Building
- Budweiser Inflatable Sixpack, Mobile Auditorium
Office and High Rise Buildings
- +IDS Office Building, Minneapolis, MN
- +AETNA Life Insurance, Corporate Headquarters, Indianapolis, IN
- Market Street Office Building, SanFrancisco, CA
- Various schematic designs for office facilities for Cushman & Wakefield throughout the United States including NewYork, Atlantic City, NJ and San Francisco, CA
- Continental Office Center (40-Story) NewYork, NY
- Equitable Trust Office Building, Milford, CT
- The U.S. Embassy Complex in Moscow: SOM Architects
Structural Investigations of Existing Buildings and Peer Reviews
- Investigation of Roof Collapse and Peer Review of 2002 Olympic Speed Skating Venue, Oquirrh Park, Utah
- Fargo Dome Roof Investigation, Fargo, North Dakota
- Giants Stadium Evaluation, Meadowlands Sports Complex, E. Rutherford, NJ
- Bank One Ballpark Peer Review, Phoenix, AZ
- Structural Peer Review of Myrtle Beach Convention Center Expansion, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Investigation and repair of the deteriorated concrete structures at the Vladek Houses, New York , NY
- +Co-Op City, Investigation of settlement problems and development of remedial measures, New York, NY
- 66 Court Street Tower, Investigation and development of remedial measures for conversion of 31-story office tower into cooperative apartments, Brooklyn, NY
- Investigation of former Sheraton Hotel, New York City, for conversion into part of Chinese Embassy.
- +Investigation of the collapse of a cooling tower at Mount Pleasant Power Plant, WV
- +Investigation of the collapse of the Hartford Coliseum Roof, Hartford, CT
- +Investigation of failures in concrete retention tank , Maraven, Venezuela
- +Investigation and evaluation of 258 buildings, mainly hospital facilities for the Veteran Administration.The existing masonry structures were evaluated for seismic resistance based on their structural condition. Remedial repair and enhancement to meet seismic resistance requirements were devised for the buildings including cost estimates.
- +Investigation and repair of the deteriorated decade of the Walson Army hospital. Fort Dix. The exterior brick wall delaminated from backup masonry. A blind anchor system was developed using epoxy gel and 1/4\" dia. stainless steel pipe to anchor the brick back to the block.
- Consultation and Remedial work to compensate for inferior concrete in The Twin Parks East Housing Project. The Housing Project is owned by the New York City Housing Authority.
- Rehabilitation and parapet work in the Linden Houses for the New York City Housing Authority.
- Investigation of the collapse of partially completed structures at the Bushwick Houses for the New York City Housing Authority . Further recommendation to quality control on the balance of the light gage framed structures in this project.
- Consultations to structural emergency situations in New York City Housing Projects.
Research and Development Projects
+ Indicates work with firms other than those noted in synopsis.
- Operable Fan Dome Development Study, Chicago White Sox Stadium
- +Study and design of various transmission tower concepts:
- Henry Dryfus,Architect
- +Development and design of a 100 ft. high, non-metallic microwave link tower, McCook, IL (for the FAA)
- +Development of low impact resistant glide slope towers up to 40 feet high with impact resistance less than 3000 lbs (for the FAA)
- +Dynamic analysis of the Elevated in Philadelphia, PA
- +Study of the economic and technical value of the PRT system in Morgantown, West Virginia (for the Senate Sub Committee on Transportation)
Thomas Fitch Rowland Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers
AIA Award, Westchester County Chapter, 1985
Associate Professor at City College, City University of New York, NY
Guest Lecturer, School of Architecture, Columbia University, New York, NY
Cooper Union, New York, NY
Boston Architectural College, Boston, MA
- "Design Experience with Nonlinear Tension Based Systems: Tents, Trusses and Tensegrity", Proceedings, LSA98 Conference, Sydney, Australia, published by LSAA
- "The First Rigidly Clad Tensegrity Type Dome", The Crown Coliseum, Fayetteville, North Carolina", Proceedings, IASS-ICSS International Congress ‘98, Moscow, Russia, published by ICSS
- "Study of a 610 m Broadcast Tower", Proceedings, International Symposium on New Perspectives for Shell and Spatial Structures, IASS-APCS 2003, published by National Taiwan University
- "Seoul 2002 World Cup Stadium Canopy Roof Structure" Proceedings, Sixth Asian Pacific Conference on Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol. II, pp 1025-1032, October 2000, published by Hakmun Publishing Inc.
- "Tensioned Fabric Membrane Roofs for "Tensegrity" Domes", Proceedings, ASCE Structures Congress XIII \'95, Boston MA, published by the ASCE.
- "Air-Supported Roof Redux", Civil Engineering Magazine, May 1995, Volume 65, Number 5, published by the ASCE.
- "Effects of Spatial Triangulation on the Behavior of "Tensegrity" Domes", Spatial, Lattice and Tension Structures, IASS-ASCE International Symposium \'94, published by the ASCE.
- "Current State of Development and Future Trends in Employment of Air-Supported Roofs in Long-Span Applications", Spatial, Lattice and Tension Structures, IASS-ASCE International Symposium \'94, published by the ASCE.
- "Long-Span Spatial Truss Systems Developed For Sports Facilites", Innovative Large Span Structures, IASS-CSCE International Congress 1992, published by the CSCE, Montréal, 1992
- "Design Details of an Elliptical Cable Dome and a Large-span Cable Dome Under Construction in the United States ," Proceedings, 1st Oleg Kerensky Memorial Conference, London England, 1988
- "Sheffield International Arena ," The Structural Engineer, Journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers, Volume 69, Number 8, 16 April 1991, London, England
- "Sheffield International Arena ," Steel Construction, Journal of the Steel Construction Institute, Volume 5, Number 4, STADIA, 4 July 1991, England
- "The Carrier Dome, Syracuse New York" PCI Journal, March / April 1981
- "King Post Truss Systems cuts Roof framing Cost by 30%,"Civil Engineering Magazine, June 1977
- "GRP replaces steel section of RML tower," Plastic Engineering, October 1976
US Patent #4,371,279: Structural Joint, (for use in space frame connections). Co-inventor: John Prussen
Diplomat, The American College of Forensic Examiners
Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
IASS - International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Working Group No. 16, Retractable Roofs
Consultant to National Research Council for Built Environment, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC
Member, American Welding Society
Member, Research Council for Structural Cables, American Society of Civil Engineers
Member, Committee for Fabric Tension Structures - ASCE
P.E.: Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin