David M. Campbell
Principal & Chief Executive Officer
B.Sc. Cum Laude, Civil Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.
Graduate Studies at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, University of British Columbia
David Campbell began working with Geiger Berger Associates, renowned pioneers of large tensionmembrane structures, in 1979 and became an Associate and head of the Vancouver, BC office in 1982. He is one of the founding principals of Geiger Engineers and has managed the firm as its Chief Executive Officer since its beginning. In more than thirty years of engineering practice, he has had a significant role in over 30 large spectator sports facilities. He has been involved in engineering tension membrane structures throughout his entire career. In addition, he has provided construction engineering consulting to contractors for a number of major sports buildings. He has extensive experience in entertainment rigging and has consulted to numerous productions including Opening Ceremonies of the 1996 Olympic Games, half time shows for the NFL Superbowl, MTV Video Awards, the Academy Awards and the Grammys. He is a member of IASS, the ASCE Special Structures Committee, as well as IAAM and the Entertainment Services and Technology Association. David has authored numerous technical papers on long-span, tensile membrane and sports facility structures.
Sports and Recreational Facilities, and Long-Span Structures
Principal in Charge of:
- BC Place Stadium- New Retractable Roof, Vancouver, BC
- 2002 World Cup Stadium Roof Canopy, Seoul, Korea
- Orlando Events Center Arena- Design Review, Orlando, FL
- Orlando Perfroming Arts Center , Cantilever Roof- Design Review, Orlando, FL
- Madras New Life Celebration Centre, Chennai, India
- Carrier Module Outfitting Facility Retractable Roof, Newport News, VA
- Physical Education and Athletic Center, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC
- Flushing Meadow Park Pool + Rink, New York, NY
- Scene Pavilion Amphitheater Canopy, Cleveland, OH
- Florida Atlantic University Multipurpose Dome Study, Boca Raton, FL
- Sprint Center Arena, Precast Concrete Seating Validation, Kansas City, MO
- Virginia Center Canopy, Reno, NV
- Children’s Medical Center Entrance Canopies, Dallas, TX
- 2010 Olympic Speed Skating Oval, Bid Scheme, Vancouver, BC
- Corinthians Stadium Canopy, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Victoria Centre Arena, Victoria, B.C. Canada
- Olympic Stadium Roof Investigation, Montréal, Québec
- Icahn Stadium, Randall's Island Track & Field Center, New York City, NY
- Texas Southern University Football, Track and Field Stadium Study, Houston, TX
- nTelos Amphitheater Canoopy Investigation, Portsmouth, VA
- Blue Ocean Dome, Beijing China
- Cupula Rotatario, Co-rotating Radio Telescope Enclosure, Serra La Negra, Mexico
- Essex County Sportsplex, Newark, NJ
- Bank One Ballpark Peer Review, Phoenix, AZ
- Coal Harbour Marina, Vancouver, BC
- Olympic Stadium Design Competition, Sydney 2000, NSW, Australia
- Nagaoka Golf Air Dome, Nagaoka, Japan
- BI-LO Center Arena, Greenville, SC
- Goodwill Games Aquatic Center Concept Study, Nassau County, NY
- Obama-Chu Multipurpose Sports Ground, Roof Structure, Obama City, Japan
- Giants Stadium Suites Addition, Meadowlands Sports Complex, East Rutherford, NJ
- Giants Stadium Dome Study, Meadowlands Sports Complex, NJ
- New Seattle Arena Study, Seattle, WA
- National Cycling Centre, Roof Structure Consulting, Manchester England
- Olympic Speed Skating Facility, 1998 Bid Concept, Salt Lake City, UT
- International Ideas Competition, For Redesigning Arena Bergiselstadion, Innsbruck, Austria
- Expo '86 Waterfront Theatres, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Project Manager for:
- Olympic Mountainside Temporary Venues, Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Games, UT
- Investigation of Roof Collapse and Peer Review of 2002 Olympic Speed Skating Venue, Oquirrh Park, Utah
- Xcel Energy Center Arena, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Resch Center Arena, Green Bay, WI
- Carrier Dome Roof Study, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- University of South Carolina Arena Roof, Columbia, SC
- Tropicana Field (formerly the Florida Suncoast Dome), St. Petersburg, FL
- Charles V. Schaefer Jr. Athletic and Recreation Center, Stevens Institute, Hoboken, NJ
- Tampa Bay Lightning Scoreboard Rigging, St. Petersburg, FL
- Tropicana Field Entertainment Rigging, St. Petersburg, FL
- Charlotte Knights Stadium, York County, SC
- Colorado Springs World Arena Ice Hall, Colorado Springs, CO
- Olympic Hall Berlin 2000 Planning , Berlin, Germany
- Real Madrid Arena, Madrid, Spain
- Sheffield Arena, Sheffield, England
- Redbird Arena, Illinois State University, Normal, IL
- North Charleston Coliseum, North Charleston, SC
- Canada Place, B.C. Trade & Convention Center, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Lindsay Park Sports Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Ontario Pavilion Expo '86, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Project or Design Engineer For:
- Taoyuan Sports Arena, Taoyuan County, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Bradley Center Arena, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- B.C. Place Stadium, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Alaska 1984 Encapsulation Study
- Flinders Park, National Tennis Center, Melbourne, Australia
- Feasibility Study for Covered Speed Skating Oval for 1988 Winter Olympiad, Calgary, Alberta
- Arkansas State University Arena & Convocation Center, Jonesboro, Arkansas
- University of Vermont Athletic Facilities, Burlington, Vermont
- Hawkeye Arena, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- University of Florida, Stephen C. O'Connell Student Activities Center, Gainesville, Florida
- Syracuse University, Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY
- Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, Minneapolis, MN
- Tennessee State Pavilion, Expo '82, Knoxville, TN
Principal in Charge of:
- Kenny Cheseny 2008 Tour, Temporary Stage Structures, Multiple Stadia, USA
- Wrestlemania 2008, Temporary Structures, Citrus Bowl, Orlando, FL
- Police Tour 2007, Temporary Stage Structures, Multiple Stadia, USA
- Cirque du Soleil Zed Set Structure, Tokyo, Japan
- LA Opera – Tilting stage turntable, Los Angeles, CA
- “Little Shop of Horrors” Rigging Evalaution, Virginia Theater, New York, NY
- Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show 2005 Rigging, New York, NY
- “Wicked” Touring Production – Theatrical trussing
- Rolling Stones 2005 Tour – Aluminum Scenic Truss Engineering, USA
- Temporary Stage Roof System Engineering – Tomcat Inc.
- Oakland School of the Arts, Temporary Stage Rigging Grid, Oakland, CA.
- Santa Fe Station Casino, Entertainment Rigging Grid, Las Vegas, NV
- MTV Superbowl Halftime Show Rigging, Houston, TX
- Metcalf Energy Center – Architectural Screens, San Jose, CA
- Reunion Arena Rigging Evaluation, Dallas, TX
- FedEx Forum – Long-span dome structure erection review, Memphis, TN
- FedEx Forum – Emergency Crane Stabilization Rigging, Memphis, TN
- Littlejohn Coliseum Entertainment Rigging, Clemson, SC
- Atlantic City Historic Convention Center Stage Grid, Atlantic City, NJ
- 1996 Centennial Olympic Games, Opening & Closing Ceremonies Consulting, Atlanta, GA
- Cadillac Tour '96 , USA, Mobile Venue
- Lions Gate Bridge Maintenance Travelers, Peer Review, Vancouver, B.C.
- Colorado Ski & Golf Canopies, Aurora, CO
- POCAHONTAS Premier in Central Park, New York, NY
- Genesis We Can't Dance Tour 1992, Stage & Special Effects
- Yumi Matsutoya 1995 Tour, Stage Structure
- 1995 Billboard Awards Rigging Consulting
- Procter and Gamble's Legends of Soccer Promotional Tour
- Yumi Matsutoya 1993 Tour, Stage and Effects
- Phil Collins Stage Set, 1990 World Tour
- IBM Corporate Magic Show, 1992, Rigging
- Highway '86, for Expo '86, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Ship of Dreams, Expo '86, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Research and Development Projects
- Thermally insulated tension membrane composite materal.
- MTVA 2000’ Freestanding Transmission Tower – Bayonne, NJ
- Automated Arena Floor Changing System Development
- Monorail Guideway Design, Titan Global, Montvale, NJ
- Automated Mobile Stage Unit
- Cleveland Dome Technology Study, Cleveland, OH
- Commonwealth Stadium Retractable Roof Technology Study, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Tensile Structure Cooling Tower Research and Development
- Turfdome, Multipurpose Stadium Concept Development
- "Design Experience with Post-Tensioned Spatial Steel Truss Networks" Proceedings, 2005 Structures Congress, New York, NY, published by the ASCE.
- "Stretching the Limits, Non-Linear Pre-Stressed Structures" STRUCTURE Magazine, Volume 11, No.11, November 2004, pages 18-23.
- "Snow Induced Ponding of Textile Membrane Roof Structures", Designing Tensile Architecture, TensiNet Symposium, Brussels, Belgium, published by TesiNet, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 2003
- "Study of a 610 m Broadcast Tower", Proceedings, International Symposium on New Perspectives for Shell and Spatial Structures, IASS-APCS 2003, published by National Taiwan University
- Membrane Designs and Structures in the World, Contributing Author, Edited by Kazuo Ishii, Shinkenchiku-sha Co., Ltd., Tokyo, 1999
- "Seoul 2002 World Cup Stadium Canopy Roof Structure" Proceedings, Sixth Asian Pacific Conference on Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol. II, pp 1025-1032, October 2000, published by Hakmun Publishing Inc.
- "Design Experience with Nonlinear Tension Based Systems: Tents, Trusses and Tensegrity", Proceedings, LSA98 Conference, Sydney, Australia, published by LSAA, 1998
- "Tensioned Fabric Membrane Roofs for "Tensegrity" Domes", Proceedings, ASCE Structures Congress XIII '95, Boston MA, published by the ASCE.
- "Air-Supported Roof Redux", Civil Engineering Magazine, May 1995, Volume 65, Number 5, published by the ASCE.
- "Effects of Spatial Triangulation on the Behavior of "Tensegrity" Domes", Spatial, Lattice and Tension Structures, IASS-ASCE International Symposium '94, published by the ASCE.
- "Current State of Development and Future Trends in Employment of Air-Supported Roofs in Long-Span Applications", Spatial, Lattice and Tension Structures, IASS-ASCE International Symposium '94, published by ASCE.
- "Effects of Support Settlement on a Long-Span Cabledome Roof Structure ", Innovative Large Span Structures, IASS-CSCE International Congress 1992, published by the CSCE, Montréal, 1992
- "Long-Span Spatial Truss Systems Developed For Sports Facilities ", Innovative Large Span Structures, IASS-CSCE International Congress 1992, published by the CSCE, Montréal, 1992
- "Sports Stadia ", Wilkes: Encyclopedia of Architecture: Design, Engineering, and Construction, Volume 4, John Wiley and Sons, New York. 1989. Article written with other contributors.
- "Comments on Limit States Behavior and Design of Large Deflection Tension Structures ", Proceedings, ASCE Conference, Orlando, August 1987
- "Design Details of an Elliptical Cable Dome and a Large-span Cable Dome Under Construction in the United States ", Proceedings, 1st Oleg Kerensky Memorial Conference, London England, 1988
- "The Unique Role of Computing in the Design and Construction of Tensile Membrane Structures ", Proceedings, American Society of Civil Engineers Second Civil Engineering Automation Conference, New York, NY, 1991
- "Mass Seating Sports and Live Entertainment Facility Structures ", PANSTADIA INTERNATIONAL, Executive Publications Holdings Ltd. London, England, 1992
- "Economy of Inflation ", Fabrics & Architecture Magazine, September/October 1992, Volume 4, Number 5.
- "Design Philosophy", Intersport Magazine, January 1994, Volume 1, Number 1. Harrington Kilbride plc., London, UK.
- "Outside In", Sports & Leisure Development International Issue 1 1994/5, Cornhill Publications Ltd in co-operation with IAKS
- "Anticipating the Elements", Fabrics & Architecture Magazine, July/August 1995, Volume 7, Number 4.
U.S. Patent No. 5,103,600: Multi-Purpose Stadium, Turfdome, co-inventor: David H. Geiger. Patents pending in other countries.
- IASS - International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Chairman - ASCE Special Structures Technical Committee
- Member of ASCE Task Committee to publish 2nd Edtion of “Tensioned Membrane Structures, A Practical Guide”.
- Member, American Concrete Institute
- Member, Stadium Managers Association
- ESTA, Entertainment Services & Technology Association, Member: Truss Standards Committee
- IAKS (Associate Member) - International Working Group for Sports and Leisure Facilities
- IAAM (Affiliated Member) - International Association of Arena and Auditorium Managers
P.E. – New York, New Jersey, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Illinois, Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas, Arizona, Missouri, Kentucky, South Caroina, Indiana, Idaho;
P. Eng.: British Columbia, Alberta